RAYVEN'S REIGN
an 18+ fantasy sandbox rpg
Switch Account

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply

Always In The Last Place You Look, (P) Tag: Freedom
Freedom
 Posted: Aug 10 2016, 11:13 AM

Luna
261 posts
Elf
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A
I'm looking for Freedom and to find it cost me everything I have...

Freedom waited anxiously as he rubbed his brow. She started to yell at him to answer her. The young elf had to know. She had to know if she had caused that to happen to him. He began to answer and she frowned, not sure she agreed with his train of thought. Though the comment about conspirators had her wondering if he had actually been one or did Faelwen just deem him one because he chose to go against her wishes? Part of her wanted to ask, but then again, part of her felt like she'd asked enough. There had been no doubt in her mind for several years that both Faelwen and her brother were unstable. He had always been jealous of her, but when he became betrothed to the older female, he had gotten worse. Maybe all of this was simply a product of her mental issues?

The elf started to question him, but the server came back and she bit her lip sitting back and staying quiet until she was gone. The offer to come to his room and talk made her nervous. He tried to calm her fears, but she knew that this was the perfect set up for him to attack her or kill her. Still, he had information she needed and she could only hope all the years of intense training and natural talent made her able to defend herself. As far as humans went, even at her young age, she was insanely good. Compared to another of her kind? She was sure she still had a long way to go. After a few moments quiet thought, she picked up her own drink and nodded. "I'm not the murderer Faelwen paints me to be, I'm not going to attack you unless you give me reason first."

She motioned for him to lead the way, stopping long enough to lay a coin next to her bowl for the server. There wasn't really enough in her coin purse to make it a wise decision, but she did it anyway. Following him up, she stopped in his doorway looking around before stepping inside. "I appreciate you being willing to tell me what happened. You seemed so angry that I didn't remember you that I never thought you'd do it honestly." She was trying to remember his name. Something that ended in Roth... she hadn't met him enough times to truly remember. Not that she was going to blurt that out. Eventually, she'd either remember or ask, but not yet, not now. Not till he was well into his tale and more comfortable with her being around. "I know you said you don't blame me, but I can't help but feel some responsibility. Like you said, something else might have set her off, but it was me and for my part in that, I'm sorry." She looked around for a seat and motioned to one with a lifted brow, wordlessly asking if she could sit.

--------------------
Freedom is what you do
• with whats been done to you •
^
Iaroth Virkana
 Posted: Aug 10 2016, 04:27 PM

Quinn
13 posts
Elf
He/Him
Bisexual, male preference
Single
Ancient Ireland
I'm for truth, no matter who tells it. I'm for justice, no matter who it's for or against.

He knew she didn't trust him. She was fighting her natural self preservation instincts and the maddening curiousity as they spoke, and while he allowed her to fight with those conflicting feelings, he conferred with the server to set up sending a pitcher of something a little stronger up to his room. The ale had done nothing, and he knew in order to get to sleep tonight he'd need all the help he could get. By the end, he'd emptied out nearly half of what he'd earned at market today. The realization caused him to sigh. He'd have to figure something else out to get by.

"I'm not the murderer Faelwen paints me to be, I'm not going to attack you unless you give me reason first."

"Then there's nothing for either of us to fear." So long as she kept her word. He didn't know how wise it was to lower his guard around this youth, but somehow he felt like he had little other options. Perhaps part of him felt like they were in this together. Both products of Faelwen's wrath. Of her madness.

She motioned for him to lead on, and he did so, guiding her to the stairs that would lead them up to the room he had rented. There was already a fire going in the pit, and he had specified that hot water be ready in a small wash basin every night so that he could wash his wound, and that was ready as well, but he doubted he would use it tonight. Not with D'nore there. She stopped in the doorway as he moved into the room, sliding his quiver from his back and unstringing Thalin to lean the bow against the wall. He wasn't interested in getting comfortable, though.

"I appreciate you being willing to tell me what happened. You seemed so angry that I didn't remember you that I never thought you'd do it honestly."

"Patience is not one of my virtues," he replied, failing to mention that he didn't really possess of that many virtues to begin with. He sat, gesturing that she could as well. "While I appreciate the sentiment, don't trouble yourself further with that guilt. Faelwen is a mad woman. I was simply unlucky enough to be born of her."

He waited until the server had delivered his requested drink to the room, along with two fresh glasses, before he even considered beginning his tale, but only after he had finished off a glass of it and was pouring his second did he actually feel comfortable enough to begin. She could be patient. She would have to be.

"Her favour toward me changed after you left. With Isthan dead and you gone, she could no longer ignore my existence as she had been content to do. The insults ceased. She had nothing but twisted love for me after that. I will not go into specifics, but I will tell you that she wanted to take me as her mate. And she no doubt would have if I had not been approached by a few families her were interested in seeing Faelwen out of power. These men had previously turned their noses up at me, but with Faelwen's full trust in me they saw an opportunity."

Pausing, he topped off both of their glasses, noticing that she wasn't drinking nearly as much as he was. He was beginning to feel its effects, too. He'd have to slow down if he didn't want to lower his guard in front of her. Rising to his feet, he grabbed up his mug to drink as he paced, less comfortable sharing this part of the story than he was about sharing the rest, except, perhaps, the part he had omitted.

"I conspired by night, but by day she had me searching for you. Her scouting missions sent me further and further away from home each day but I never once got close to finding you. I earned her ire more than once, and it had her watching me more than ever." He paused in front of the vanity with the steaming water, the attached mirror covered with a sheet. "She discovered us. She and about twenty armed guards. I was subdued quickly, my conspirators cut down like dogs in the street. I thought she'd have me killed, too, but she-" He cut himself off, gesturing the the cloth covering the right side of his face. After a moment, he took a swig, swallowing down the sour taste in his mouth from speaking of his trauma.

"My intelligence still in the city tells me she still has it. Bitch..."

This post has been edited by Iaroth Virkana: Aug 20 2016, 09:29 PM
^
Freedom
 Posted: Aug 20 2016, 04:31 PM

Luna
261 posts
Elf
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A

Freedom sat quietly listening. She finished her own drink, not touching the one that he had poured her yet. He paused and she took the opportunity to comment. "It's amazing how peoples opinion of you can change when they think you can be useful."

Part of her was proud of herself because he hadn't been able to find her. When she had left that night, she had ran, quiet literally for home, packed a few things and then started running again. Once she hit the border of Alden she had turned south, running on adrenaline and fear for days at a time before exhaustion had brought her to a stop. She only slept an hour or two then was up and running again. She wasn't taking a known route south, she was just keeping the sun the left of her in the mornings and going until her body forced her to stop. She wouldn't ask, but she suspected that they didn't think she would have gone that far or that fast. Freedom was a kid, in both elven and human standards. She was lucky she wasn't typical in that regard.

When he finished, she realized that Faelwen hadn't just scared and disfigured his face, but taken his eye. The fact that she kept it as a trophy was sick. "I'm sorry. That's sick. I admit, I thought she had screwed up your face, thus the covering, but I hadn't dreamed she'd actually taken the eye itself. She'd unstable." She sighed and picked up the drink he'd poured her taking a few sips. Her eyes went a little wide. That was stronger then she was used too. Taking a bigger sip, she let it burn down her throat, but slowed herself not wanting to get trashed around him.

"You're plotting revenge aren't you? You have to be. I would in your case." She knew it was prying, but she wanted to know. She might volunteer to help him. That would have to wait until she was older and stronger, but she'd do what she could to help. Anything to make Faelwen suffer.

--------------------
Freedom is what you do
^
Iaroth Virkana
 Posted: Aug 20 2016, 09:41 PM

Quinn
13 posts
Elf
He/Him
Single
Ancient Ireland
I'm for truth, no matter who tells it. I'm for justice, no matter who it's for or against.

[post]"It's amazing how peoples opinion of you can change when they think you can be useful."

"I wish it had been that simple. It wasn't just that I was suddenly useful to her, it was that I was the only useful pawn left. I was always useful, but you and Isthan had been more so. With the two you of gone, I was what she had left. She's like a child at play. She won't play with the toys she hates until she's already broken her favorites."

He paused in the middle of the room with his back to her, nursing his drink before crossing his arms over his chest. No doubt the news that he hadn't been able to find her would make her gloat, even if she'd more than likely to so quietly. He was her elder by several years, after all, and a trained hunter at that. The fact that he hadn't been able to find her even when he hadn't been giving it all of his effort was embarrassing in the least, even if she did have the advantage.

"I'm sorry. That's sick. I admit, I thought she had screwed up your face, thus the covering, but I hadn't dreamed she'd actually taken the eye itself. She'd unstable."

"That's been established. It's not too farfetched for her, though. She has always held beauty to a higher regard than she should, so it would stand to reason her particular brand of punishment for the high crime of treason would be to take the offender's beauty from them." He still remembered her snears hovering over his face as she carved into it. Her cruel, mocking laughter and her faux-gentle soothing as he screamed. Her breath on his tortured skin. The forcefulness of her mouth as she pressed it to his, clearly enjoying the taste of his blood on her lips.

He shuddered. He took another swig, then another, like he could burn the memory of her from the inside.

"You're plotting revenge aren't you? You have to be. I would in your case."

He laughed, a short bark of a sound. "Revenge? No. The minute I could, I put my back to that place, and I don't plan to look on it again. Not in this lifetime. As long as she keeps to her corner of the world, she is not my responsibility."

This post has been edited by Iaroth Virkana: Aug 20 2016, 10:17 PM
^
Freedom
 Posted: Sep 9 2016, 12:35 PM

Luna
261 posts
Elf
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A

The news that Faelwen was vain was not new to her. She knew that from watching her insist that Isthan fawn over her. The memory of getting dirt on her dress once and the beating she'd gotten from it hadn't faded from her mind. Sometimes she cursed being an elf and having their long memory. It was one reason she had started drinking. Not only did it make her seem older and possibly more proficient at her newly chosen profession, but it helped keep those memories at bay. "Someone should curse her with having the same amount of beauty on the outside as she has on the inside. Maybe she wouldn't be so vain then." Freedom sipped her drink, relaxing a bit more around him. If he was going to hurt her, he would have done it by now. Or so she thought.

The fact that he wasn't looking for revenge confused her. If Isthan hadn't been an idiot and fell on his knife, the charges of murder against her might have become true in the future. There was no way she could have faced eternity not making him suffer for all the torture he put her through. "I couldn't do it. I don't think I could at least. I'd have to make her pay if she did something like that to me. At least if I was able. Are you afraid to go after her? Is that it?"

The young thief was far from experienced enough to know that sometimes going after your hearts desires weren't the wisest or best choice. The act of revenge was not as simple as her mind made it. "Do you think she'll just leave you be? I mean, she seems the sort not to let something go."

--------------------
Freedom is what you do
^
Iaroth Virkana
 Posted: Sep 10 2016, 11:09 PM

Quinn
13 posts
Elf
He/Him
Single
Ancient Ireland

"Someone should curse her with having the same amount of beauty on the outside as she has on the inside. Maybe she wouldn't be so vain then."

"I would be glad to only look upon her with one eye instead of two, then," he responded darkly, speaking his words over the rim of his mug before he finished off what was left, then returned to the table for another round, his one good eye avoiding hers. This wasn't wise. He had no cause to trust her, and he was feeling quite a bit more loose now that he had quite a few drinks in him. He was tired, too, having gotten up before dawn to start his daily hunt, and while he wasn't outside and couldn't tell the time by the moon's location, he knew it to be near to or slightly past midnight, at least. He needed rest.

"At least if I was able. Are you afraid to go after her? Is that it?"

He did glance at her then, her seemingly unintentional insult giving him pause. "Afraid? No, I do not fear her or her supporters, but I have nothing to gain by returning there and everything to lose." It was a case of live and let live. While he wouldn't mind seeing her suffer, he was under no impression that he needed to be the one to cause that suffering.

"Do you think she'll just leave you be? I mean, she seems the sort not to let something go."

He shrugged his shoulders, letting his eye wander the room again to watch the billowing current of steam from what was to be his wound care for the night. "It's difficult to say. She hasn't sent anyone after me yet, at least as far as I know, but that doesn't mean she won't if the mood ever strikes her. I'm sure she'll remember that I still exist some day. Gods know what that will result in."
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply

tagbox

USE YOUR OUT OF CHARACTER ALIAS WHEN POSTING IN THE TAGBOX.
Please provide a link to the thread and the user/character tagged.
You may bump a thread once every five days.

Listed At
Affiliates
RPG-D Distant Fantasies
Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows www.AbaddonCity.com 18+
skinned by josh dun of shine, cc, wecode, and ctw. cfs by black @ code