RAYVEN'S REIGN
an 18+ fantasy sandbox rpg
Switch Account

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply

Always In The Last Place You Look, (P) Tag: Freedom
Iaroth Virkana
 Posted: Jul 28 2016, 11:51 PM

Quinn
13 posts
Elf
He/Him
Bisexual, male preference
Single
Ancient Ireland
I'm for truth, no matter who tells it. I'm for justice, no matter who it's for or against.

The world was so much darker outside of his elven grove, which was considerable when he thought about it. He'd never felt at home there, but now that he could never return it was easy to miss at least some parts of it. He had few fond memories of his ancestral home, but those few stood out most t him now that he was thousands of miles from everything he knew. It was true, what they said. You never knew what you had until it was gone, even if you had very little to lose to begin with.

Turns out he'd had more to lose than he'd realize. Namely, his right eye.

A few weeks had seen to it that his skin had begun slowly knitting back together. He still couldn't look at himself in the mirror, and he made a point to keep the right side of his face turned away from people, both to protect his image and to keep them in his line of sight, but at least the ache was starting to ease, and he hadn't acquired any sort of infection to slow the process down. But gods, was it a hideous sight. Those that did get a good look at him tried not to after that, and he could hardly blame them, but it stoked that fire inside him that raged whenever he was insulted.

And why should he have to suffer this injustice? What had he done to deserve such a cruel fate?

The only comfort he found was that at least it hadn't been his left eye. He would no doubt have to relearn everything he'd taught himself about archery if he'd lost his left eye. Right handed, he kept his left side facing his target and therefore primarily used his left eye to aim, but he was having an awful time re-gauging depth. But it could have been worse. It could always be worse.

A moderately successful hunt brought him back to the inn he'd been occupying rather late that night, a few silvers richer after selling to the local butcher. It would buy him a warm meal and several drinks to put him to sleep, and he generally needed more than a few to knock him out nowadays. His thoughts often turned dark when he had no other distractions to occupy his attention, and it was harder for his mind to wander when it was dulled with alcohol.

As he entered the bar, his remaining eye took in the few still awake at this hour before he began heading toward the bar, but something caused him to do a double take. She was trying very hard not to be noticed, and he almost hadn't, but he recognized that woman. He'd know her face anywhere.

Knowing her situation, and not wanting to spook her before he had the opportunity to demand answers from her, he continued his trek to the bar, ordering up two mugs of dark ale and a hot meal to be sent to her table. Mugs in hand, he approached her where she sat, sitting in the chair opposite hers and sliding one of the ales across the table toward her.

"I know your face. I suppose you're no longer going by D'nore."

This post has been edited by Iaroth Virkana: Aug 5 2016, 08:32 PM
^
Freedom
 Posted: Jul 29 2016, 12:08 AM

Luna
261 posts
Elf
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A
I'm looking for Freedom and to find it cost me everything I have...

Moving at night had always worked out best for her. It was her natural habitat and it hadn't taken her long out on her own to realize that the sun and she were not on good terms. When she had run around the grove and attended her lessons with Isthan, she'd never stayed out in the sun's powerful rays for more than a few minutes at a time. Now she was hours on the road, more in the trees than on the actual road, but the sun was a hard task master and it followed her from the time it rose till the time it set. The fact that there was still food to be had at this tavern when she had slipped inside was a blessing. The gods had to be smiling on her. She wasn't sure how long that would last. She had killed her brother and the gods didn't generally approve of such things.

She had stolen a cloak earlier that day and was still getting used to it swinging around her as she traveled. The young elf was still trying to decide if she should unhook it and try to relax or if she should keep it on and use the hood to keep people back form her. Just moments before the door opened, she had pushed her hood back, kicking her feet up. There wasn't enough coin in her purse to buy a room, but there was enough to buy a meal and at least one pint of ale. She was actually counting out the coins and deciding what she should do and make her plans for the next day when the shadow fell over her table.

The ale that slid to her made her blink in surprise before she looked up at him as he sat. Freedom's skin was the color of porcelain, but when he spoke her name, she managed to go a few shades paler than that. Her blood felt cold. He seemed familiar, but she couldn't place him yet. "I'm afraid you have me mixed up with someone else. Maybe you should lay off the ale." All her life, sarcasm had been a defense. It had earned her a few extra lashes from her brothers whip, but sometimes, it was soooo satisfying that she just couldn't resist.

Picking up the ale, she sniffed it. She had been trained in poisons and how to recognize them before she left home. There was nothing amiss that she could smell, so she lifted the drink to her lips and took a deep drink. "You have my thanks though, you saved me a few coopers and arguing with the barkeep that I was old enough to drink this." She laughed softly. Most humans didn't want to give her alcohol. She looked young even by human standards. "I don't know why people think I'm too young to handle this. Is ale the drink of kings in these parts or something?" She was trying to keep her tone casual and light, stick to her story of not being D'nore. Just a friendly traveler passing through who would be gone as soon as she snatched a few hours of rest.

--------------------
Freedom is what you do
• with whats been done to you •
^
Iaroth Virkana
 Posted: Jul 29 2016, 12:21 AM

Quinn
13 posts
Elf
He/Him
Single
Ancient Ireland
I'm for truth, no matter who tells it. I'm for justice, no matter who it's for or against.

She played coy, of course. He probably would have done the same. Still, that made it all the more obvious that she didn't recognize him. And why should she? They'd never actually interacted, and with half of his face scarred beyond recognition and most of it covered anyway it was easy to mistake him for another wayward elf. But elves weren't exactly common around these parts, and at least one of his ears was in full view, so if she didn't put two and two together soon he'd have to remit his previous assumption that she was more intelligent than he.

"I'm afraid you have me mixed up with someone else. Maybe you should lay off the ale."

"All the ale in the world wouldn't erase your face from my memory, and with this being the first of the night I'm rather certain I've named you correctly. Lie to me if you wish, but don't insult my intelligence by assuming I'll believe you."

He lifted his mug to his lips, gulping down several large swigs before setting it back down again, his good eye trained on her. "I don't know why people think I'm too young to handle this. Is ale the drink of kings in these parts or something?"

"If that were true, I pity these common folks. This tastes like piss compared to the stuff they served back home. I'm sure you remember the ale Abonnenor brewed. Tasted like moonlight." This was no ordinary reminiscing. He wanted her to know that he had her made.

"For fuck's sake, you can relax. I'm not here to bring you back, or kill you, or whatever you're worried about. And if I wanted you dead, I'd have put an arrow in you. Poison is a coward's weapon."

This post has been edited by Iaroth Virkana: Aug 5 2016, 08:32 PM
^
Freedom
 Posted: Jul 29 2016, 12:34 AM

Luna
261 posts
Elf
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A

Freedom felt her stomach knot as he called her out on her lie. What was he doing so far from Alden? She knew she should remember him, but her brother kept her locked so tight away from people, she missed out on a lot. Her chrome diopside colored eyes stared at him over the top of her mug as he talked about the ale from the grove. She opened her mouth to agree with him, but she bit her lip, sitting back a bit deeper in the shadows. There was little she could do with them. She had only ten years or so of instruction, where other shadowwalkers had hundreds of years. Her brother wasn't a walker, so he could only instruct her in theory, not actually teach her how to do things. It was slow learning, but at least it had been learning.

The fact that he wasn't there to take her back made her frown. Lowering the mug, she leaned forward a bit again, not sure she understood what this was all about. "Then why is my face so important to you? Are you that starved for your own people that you'd consort with a so-called murderer?" She'd seen the reward posters with her likeness described on them. Elven artists were very good and the images were very accurate.

It was itching at her that she knew him. "I know you don't I? I've at least seen you before." There was a dagger tucked into her waist and her hand was resting on the hilt of it. He scared her, but she didn't want to admit it. "I have to admit, I'm curious what stories they've been passing about me since I left." She smiled faintly at his poison comment. "It's not a cowards weapon, it's one that you use when all other options fail." She was tempted to tell him the name she was going by, but she wasn't quite sure she was ready to do that yet. He said he wasn't here to take her in, but he could have been lying.

--------------------
Freedom is what you do
^
Iaroth Virkana
 Posted: Jul 29 2016, 08:28 PM

Quinn
13 posts
Elf
He/Him
Single
Ancient Ireland

That did it. She knew she was made, but she still didn't know by whom. He was finding it more and more difficult to maintain his composure. Her face was ingrained in his memory by force, and she couldn't even be bothered to recognize his. He knew he couldn't blame her. He knew it wasn't fair. But the cards he'd been dealt weren't fair either, and maybe he'd inherited more of his mother's pettiness from her than was healthy.

"Then why is my face so important to you? Are you that starved for your own people that you'd consort with a so-called murderer?"

"Do you think it wise to insult me when you don't yet remember who I am?" His tone was low and dangerous, betraying the rage he felt bubbling in his gut, threatening to overflow if she didn't watch her words.

"I know you don't I? I've at least seen you before."

He grit his teeth, insulted. She continued to speak, and he found her narcissism distasteful. Stories of her? Like he'd had the time to listen. The minute she disappeared into the night his mother was making ridiculous demand after ridiculous demand. Even if he'd wanted to listen to the gossip of their people he wouldn't have had the time.

"It's not a cowards weapon, it's one that you use when all other options fail."

He snapped, backhanding his still-full mug of ale half-way across the room to clatter to the floor, spilling its contents. "Look at my face," he snapped, unaware of the attention he'd drawn. "Look at my face and tell me you don't recognize me." He leaned forward over the table, his one good eye boring into her.

This post has been edited by Iaroth Virkana: Aug 5 2016, 08:33 PM
^
Freedom
 Posted: Jul 29 2016, 08:46 PM

Luna
261 posts
Elf
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A

When the mug went flying, she pulled her blade, eyes wide. This was not good. She should have ran when he said he knew her. She was just so hungry and tired. She'd barely slept in weeks. The other people in the room are staring at them as he leans over the table. Freedom stared at him, frowning, she knew she knew him, but it was hard to place people you barely saw. Something clicked and she lifted her dagger, eyes flashing. "You're that crazy bitch's son. Faelwen's son. She sent you after me didn't she?"

Is starting to rise from her seat. Among the humans in the room she'd seem tall for a woman, but she was typical height for an elven female. "That whole deal with saying you weren't here to take me in, that was a lie wasn't it? She sent you to do it personally didn't she?" Glances around for a way out of the room. "I'm not going back. I didn't kill him and I won't be locked away again."

The inn keeper was coming their way, planning to throw them out or break up the fight. "You're running out of time. Better do what you're going to do before they throw you out of here." She would play the damsel in distress card if she had too. She hated to, but it was the only way to keep herself inside and him outside.

--------------------
Freedom is what you do
^
Iaroth Virkana
 Posted: Jul 29 2016, 09:06 PM

Quinn
13 posts
Elf
He/Him
Single
Ancient Ireland

His eyes fell to her blade, and he held up his hands to let her know that he'd finished before pushing escaped hair away from his face. He seemed suddenly embarrassed, aware of the attention he'd drawn and regretting it.

"You're that crazy bitch's son. Faelwen's son. She sent you after me didn't she?"

"Fuck's sake, no. Sit down and let me explain."

She wasn't having it. She was paranoid, clearly, and he couldn't blame her. She was making more of a scene than he'd already caused, and the inkeep was headed this way, looking to break up a fight or throw someone out. Him and his damnable temper. This wasn't how he'd waned this to go.

"You're running out of time. Better do what you're going to do before they throw you out of here."

"I'm not going back there, with or without you. Sit down. Relax." To the inkeep, "There was a minor misunderstanding, sir, I'll pay to replace the mug if it's broken and I'll gladly pay for another drink if you'd be so kind as to have a server send it this way." The inkeep looked unconvinced and nonplussed until Iaroth produced more than enough coin from his coin purse to cover the mug and several other drinks. More than he'd intended on spending tonight, but he didn't intend on being removed from the inn in which he'd already placed a down payment on a room.

He returned his attention back to D'nore, gesturing to the chair. "Sit. You're in no danger from me."

This post has been edited by Iaroth Virkana: Aug 5 2016, 08:33 PM
^
Freedom
 Posted: Jul 29 2016, 09:24 PM

Luna
261 posts
Elf
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A

The fact that he held his hands up and back down was surprising. It caught her off guard enough to lower the blade, but she hadn't sat back down immediately. She had just considered lowering herself as the innkeeper walked up. When the elf in front of her apologized to the man, she found she was surprised. How could anyone raised by that bitch even begin to have manners or anything similar?

He told her to sit again and she sighed, doing so, but leaving the blade on the table in plain view. "I don't get it. Why not take me back? You know why she wants me and how much she's offering. You'd have all her favor. It doesn't make sense." She also didn't understand why he was so upset that she didn't recognize him. It wasn't time to ask him that yet though. He could just be playing her to get her to calm down so that he could take her in hand later.

When the server brought the mug of ale over, Freedom looked at him and took out her very meager coin purse. "Could I have a plate of whatever is on the fire?" The server huffed and took her coins, glaring at them both and walking off. "If this whole 'I'm not taking you back' thing is a rouse, at least give me time to eat before you drag me off. I feel like I have a hole in my stomach." She picked up her ale taking a sip of it, very glad that he hadn't sent hers flying.

Drinking was something she had never really gotten to do too much in Alden. She sneaked it when she could, but since she'd left home, she had spent many nights so drunk she couldn't even stand up. Over the months she'd noticed it took a bit more to get her drunk now than it did then, but either way, one tankard was no threat to her mental clarity. "So if you're not here to take me back, why are you here? " She wanted to ask about his eye. Freedom knew he'd had two when she'd seen him at the grove, but now he only had the one, or so she assumed since he had it covered.

--------------------
Freedom is what you do
^
Iaroth Virkana
 Posted: Jul 29 2016, 11:29 PM

Quinn
13 posts
Elf
He/Him
Single
Ancient Ireland

After a few moments of hesitation, she sat, but her blade remained in full view. He wasn't intimidated, but neither would he give her cause to defend herself. As the innkeeper left in a huff, he gauged her reaction. She was surprised, no doubt at how quickly he'd composed himself after making such a scene, but also at the news he wasn't planning on returning her to Faelwen. He shook his head at her questions, banishing the thought of gaining her favor with a wave of his hand, not answering her just yet.

The server returned with his requested mug of ale, and the look she gave him made him wonder if she'd spit in it before handing it over. He found he didn't much care. D'nore requested something hot to eat, and he briefly considered paying for it as a show of good faith until he did the mental calculations in his head. He would have to bring home a good hunt if he expected to earn back what he'd already spent tonight, so he decided the idea was a frivolous one.

"I feel like I have a hole in my stomach."

"You and me both," he added dryly, swallowing down a hearty portion of the drink the woman had brought him and using the back of his leather sleave to wipe the excess from his mouth, wincing slighting as the rough material irritated his still somewhat fresh wound.

"So if you're not here to take me back, why are you here? "

"Same reason you are. To get away from Faelwen." He knew he would probably need o give her more than that. It was suspicious enough his being here, but to claim to be hiding from his own mother was a stretch when she didn't know the whole truth. He didn't know how much he wanted to give her. He had no reason to trust her, or to believe that she was as innocent of murdering her brother as she claimed.

"I have no need for her gold or her favor. I only have need for her indifference."

It didn't take long for the server to return with their meals, as he had ordered something for himself already they had no doubt made enough for several mouths. The woman was still angry, no doubt because she'd have to be the one to clean up the mess he'd made, and he made a mental note to tip her well when this was over. That was an expense he could afford if he intended on staying in this inn for an extended period.

"It is true that she sent me after you, but I gave up the search months ago. A cruel twist of irony has me sharing a meal with you now, when it's too late to matter." The stew in the bowl before him was steaming and no doubt to hot to eat, but he took a mouthful from his spoon anyway, seemingly unbothered by the temperature.

This post has been edited by Iaroth Virkana: Aug 5 2016, 08:34 PM
^
Freedom
 Posted: Aug 6 2016, 12:51 PM

Luna
261 posts
Elf
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A

Freedom frowned when he said he was trying to get away from Faelwen. Why would be trying to escape his own mother. Wasn't he some sort of ranking guard member or something? She knew she should remember. There was a vague memory from when she was much younger of being introduced to the man, but she was a kid. What kid cared about meeting adults? Not any that she'd ever met. Freedom didn't say anything after he spoke again, weighing his words and trying to decide if she was going to trust him. She wouldn't ever fully trust him, but enough to get through the evening and walk out of here alive, maybe.

The food came and Freedom's stomach rumbled. She blushed a bit, hoping that he didn't hear it. She thanked the woman, reaching up to make sure that her ears were still hiding under her hair when she picked up the spoon. He began to talk about looking for her and she tensed for a moment. She knew that it was never too late. He could likely take her back and get in Faelwen's good graces if he had fallen out of it, but he didn't seem to be interested. If he was trying to catch her, he'd be plying her with drink probably or flirting, trying to get her into bed. She watched him eat for a moment, lifting her own spoon to her mouth, but she blew on it first before taking a bite.

"The gods have a fucked up sense of humor like that. That's why I have nothing to do with them. They hate me and I just steer clear. I make my own way." She takes another bite of the stew wanting to just turn it up and chug it down, but doesn't knowing it'll fill her up better if she eats slowly. "I get the feeling that you and your mother didn't part on good terms." Is starting to get curious about what happened. "Why did you give up looking for me though? I figured she'd be so enraged about Isthan falling on his blade that she'd never let anyone give up." Glances up from her stew, looking at his face. She didn't recall him only having one eye before, but she suspected that she shouldn't ask. Her mother had taught her a few manners. It was hard to keep from looking at his face though. That cloth just drew her eyes to it.

She forced her eyes back down. "I'm glad you're not trying to take me back. I'd hate to have to kill you. I mean, I don't trust you, but I don't have an issue with you either. I'd rather not kill you if I don't have too." She didn't know if she was good enough to kill him or not, but she needed to feel and sound confident.

--------------------
Freedom is what you do
^
Iaroth Virkana
 Posted: Aug 6 2016, 04:16 PM

Quinn
13 posts
Elf
He/Him
Single
Ancient Ireland

Subtle mannerisms alerted him to her idea of staying hidden from the public view. She thought she could simply keep her ears hidden to avoid being recognized, but that was almost laughable. He'd recognized her from a glance in her direction, but he had more reason than most to recognize her face. Still, she could go to greater lengths. He knew a rather shady surgeon that could change the appearance of a person with a blade. Whether or not it was a good change, however...

"The gods have a fucked up sense of humor like that. That's why I have nothing to do with them. They hate me and I just steer clear. I make my own way."

He rolled his eye openly at her youthful "edginess". He took another swig of his ale, waving away her words with his free hand as he swallowed. "If you think the gods have time to hate one individual child, you truly are naïve." She couldn't have been more than twenty, if she was even that old. Still, he realized he hadn't come over here to insult her, and the realization made his face soften slightly.

"I apologize. That was unjust." And he left it at that.

"I get the feeling that you and your mother didn't part on good terms."

That shut him up tighter than a clam shell, and he just looked at her, giving her a simple, "we did not," and nothing else. His tone left little room for follow up questions.

"Why did you give up looking for me though? I figured she'd be so enraged about Isthan falling on his blade that she'd never let anyone give up."

His brow furrowed, and he looked at her. "Is that truly what happened? Isthan fell on his own blade? You realize how that sounds, I hope. Besides, I told you that I gave up looking for you, not that she did. I'm sure she still demands your head on a pike, but I am no longer interested in carrying out her demands." He paused, catching her stares before she was able to look away. The questions were burning on her mind, but she was too uncomfortable to ask. He would not take that discomfort away from her. Let her stew. Let her imagination run wild. He did not have to tell her a thing.

"I'm glad you're not trying to take me back. I'd hate to have to kill you. I mean, I don't trust you, but I don't have an issue with you either. I'd rather not kill you if I don't have too."

He grinned, the expression somewhat distorted by his deforming scar. Sitting back in his chair, he looked at her hard, took in the shape of her arms and the pinpointing every single weapon she had on her person, even those that were hidden from sight. "If it came down to that, you could certainly try. Trust me when I say, D'nore, that if I wanted to take you back, we'd be on our way already. Faelwen never specified that she wanted you alive or unharmed."

This post has been edited by Iaroth Virkana: Aug 6 2016, 04:27 PM
^
Freedom
 Posted: Aug 7 2016, 09:08 PM

Luna
261 posts
Elf
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A

Freedom looked at him a bit oddly. Was that really what happened? Of course he didn't believe her. Who would? She sighed and idly stirred her food around before even considering answering him, but he was continuing and it gave her more time to think about how much to tell him. She was lost in those thoughts as he replied to her other comment about taking her back. That got her attention and she looked up at him and shrugged. "You wouldn't come out of it unscathed even if you did win. You know what I am don't you? How I was trained?" She wasn't sure what anyone knew about her to be honest. They kept her locked away from everyone and that limited her being able to hear rumors of any sort.

She didn't really give him time to answer, she looked up, giving him as honest of a look as she could. "It's not that anyone would believe me, but yes, to answer your earlier question, that is what happened. I mean, I'm not guiltless in his death, but I'm not sorry and I didn't put the blade in him. Isthan sucked with any kind of fighting. It's why he was a priest I guess. He had trainers come in to teach me that stuff. He tripped on that long ass ugly red robe of his, hit his head on the alter and fell on his knife. True, if I hadn't been there, doing what I was doing, he would be alive, but still... I didn't put that blade in him."

Once she'd explained enough to feel satisfied, she began to eat again, clearly a bit aggravated by the whole situation. Something occured to her and she looked up at him frowning. "She didn't specify alive? That's weird. I figured she'd want me to stand trial. Isthan nearly beat me to death more than once and she always stopped him. Said they needed me alive. Guess she changed her mind." She shrugged her shoulders putting the thought out of her mind and picking up a piece of the bread that came with the food, wiping the gravy out of the bowl. "I'm surprised, that she gave you the option to stop looking for me, that's what I meant earlier. Not that she'd stopped." That gave her an opening and she looked up again, motioning to her own face. "Is that why you're wounded?"

--------------------
Freedom is what you do
^
Iaroth Virkana
 Posted: Aug 7 2016, 09:48 PM

Quinn
13 posts
Elf
He/Him
Single
Ancient Ireland

"You wouldn't come out of it unscathed even if you did win. You know what I am don't you? How I was trained?"

Either she was bluffing, overly-confident in her abilities, or she was stupid. He had at least thirty years on her. He was by no means and expert at his craft yet, and wouldn't be for several more years, he figured, but she had a lot less time to perfect her own, even if she had an advantage over him. He knew about her shadows, as much as she and Faelwen had tried to keep the secret. Few knew about it, but D'nore had served as a distraction for his mother, and so he had taken more than a passing interest in what had made her so special. Not that he minded, of course. Anything to stop the constant insults.

"True, if I hadn't been there, doing what I was doing, he would be alive, but still... I didn't put that blade in him."

"What had you been doing, exactly? Not that it matters, of course, what's done is done and you will be the scapegoat for Faelwen regardless of the role you played, but I'm curious as to what set off this massive chain of events." Mainly, he wondered if the loss of his eye could be worth it to her. Whether or not it would plague her conscious if she knew the reason behind it. Whether or not he should hate her for being the cause of all of it.

He had nearly finished his stew, Iaroth having eaten rather ravenously when he hadn't been speaking, and he was currently using a bit of stale bread the server had brought each of them to mop up the little that remained as she questioned Faelwen's reasoning. He shook his head. "I don't believe that to be the case any longer. Either you've outlived your usefulness, as I have, or she's simply too far gone after Isthan's death to be reasoned with." He popped the bread into his mouth, chewing slowly now that his appetite was sated.

"I'm surprised, that she gave you the option to stop looking for me, that's what I meant earlier. Not that she'd stopped." His chewing slowed to a stop as she spoke, and he thought he knew what was coming next, and he attempted to stare her down as a means of telling her not to ask that burning question, but she didn't catch the look in time, or asked regardless. And she phrased it so mildly, too. Wounded. Not deformed. Not disabled. Just wounded. As if he'd received a minor fleshwound for his transgressions.

He swallowed his food deliberately and let her sit in silence while he washed it down with the remainder of his drink, waving the server down for another and making sure she was aware of just how well he'd tip her once they were finished with their table. "That question has been burning on your mind, hasn't it? I wonder if you'd still be just as curious if I actually let you see what I have under this scarf. If you knew the reason behind this wound. I wonder if you could look me in the face afterward."

This post has been edited by Iaroth Virkana: Aug 7 2016, 09:48 PM
^
Freedom
 Posted: Aug 7 2016, 10:03 PM

Luna
261 posts
Elf
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A

The hope that he wouldn't poke into what she had been doing was gone immediately. Of course he wanted to know. If she ever told this tale again, she'd have to rephrase it. Reword it. Preferably she wouldn't ever run into anyone again that would know her or ask. She sighed and gave up trying to think up anything that sounded dramatic or worthwhile. "I was stealing from the temple." She held up a hand to stop any comment he might have and continued. "I wasn't allowed to be around other people my own age. I wasn't even allowed to train with the other shadowwalkers. Stealing got me put on the clean up crew that went around the city. It let me be with other people my age. Actually talk to someone other than Isthan. By the time his death happened, I wasn't even allowed to see my parents. I was going crazy. It was never supposed to go as far as it did though."

She lowered her hand, biting into the bread she had soaked up the gravy with wishing that she'd never come to this inn. She should have stopped two back when she had thought about it before. There was no way she'd have enough coin by then though. She'd stolen two more purses before she got here and she was barely going to have enough to keep drinks coming or to rent a pallet by the fire.

The question she asked about his face had clearly made him unhappy. Then again, she was suspecting that he was always unhappy. The comment he made about his face had her confused. Why would she not be able to look him in the face? It didn't make any sense to her. "I'm going to venture a guess that its worse than what I think it is, but you have a bright red scarf covering half your face, how am I not going to want to know why?" She was a teenager of course she had to know why, not that she looked it that way. She just thought of herself as curious. "You don't have to show me or tell me if you don't want to. I was just curious. I'm willing to listen to what you have to say, but.... I'm not sure why you think I wouldn't be able to...." She trailed off something clicking in her mind. "You didn't get that because of me did you?!" She was staring at him now, feeling a bit sick. She didn't want to be responsible for people or the harm that came to them. Not over a candlestick.

--------------------
Freedom is what you do
^
Iaroth Virkana
 Posted: Aug 7 2016, 10:46 PM

Quinn
13 posts
Elf
He/Him
Single
Ancient Ireland

"I was stealing from the temple."

He blinked, and nearly flew off the handle again, but she held up a hand to stop him and he managed to cage the beast that was his temper, if barely. She began explaining her reasoning behind stealing from the temple, and he found himself actually feeling sympathy for her. Perhaps a little empathy. Both were foreign emotions to him, and he didn't like either. He liked it better when he didn't know her. Now she was too real of a person for him to force her to shoulder all the blame.

Which meant he had to keep some of it for himself.

They had both been lonely. Him because he had been ostracized, her because she was supposed to be a secret. Perhaps things would have been different if they'd tried to communicate with each other, but that was a pointless train of thought. He never would have reached out to her even if he'd known the extent of the abuse she suffered, and she never would have trusted him regardless.

"I'm going to venture a guess that its worse than what I think it is, but you have a bright red scarf covering half your face, how am I not going to want to know why?"

He was silent as she continued to speak, waiting for the pieces to click into place, if they ever did. He took her for an intelligent sort, but he also suspected she would be the first to blame herself in situations like these. Admittedly, nothing that had happened to him could entirely be blamed on her. In fact, if he really looked at the situation hard, none of it could, but it was difficult to look at the situation in that sort of lighting given the trauma he'd experienced.

When it finally clicked, and she asked if she was to blame, he shut his eye, one hand going to rub at the knit in his brow. He wanted to tell her it was her fault. God, did he want to tell her that, but he knew he couldn't. It was unjust to force her to shoulder that blame. After a moment, he shook his head.

"No. I blamed you once, and perhaps in some convoluted way the blame could fall at your feet, but it was much more complicated than that." And there it was. If the blame wasn't hers, then whose was it? Faelwen's? His fellow conspirators? His own?

"I had every intention of blaming you for the rest of my days. Perhaps if you hadn't fled, if you'd stayed and dealt with the consequences, Faelwen wouldn't have been so eager to weed out conspirators in her midst. Perhaps she would have been a bit more stable. But if not you, someone else would have failed her. Perhaps my failures would have come to light sooner. I can't say."

He stopped speaking as the server brought him his drink, a mite more agreeable now that she had the promise of being paid for her work. Mug in hand, he stood. "I do not wish to speak of this so openly. I have a room. If you've a mind to hear what transpired after you disappeared, I invite you to join me there. Before you protest, I give you my word that I will not lay a hand on you, or harm you in any way. Unless, of course, I'm forced to do so in self defense."

This post has been edited by Iaroth Virkana: Aug 8 2016, 11:27 AM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply

tagbox

USE YOUR OUT OF CHARACTER ALIAS WHEN POSTING IN THE TAGBOX.
Please provide a link to the thread and the user/character tagged.
You may bump a thread once every five days.

Listed At
Affiliates
RPG-D Distant Fantasies
Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows www.AbaddonCity.com 18+
skinned by josh dun of shine, cc, wecode, and ctw. cfs by black @ code