RAYVEN'S REIGN
an 18+ fantasy sandbox rpg
Switch Account

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply

What is human anyway? (P), Zach/Laura
Laura Stiles
 Posted: Jan 24 2016, 09:54 PM

Luna
9 posts
Enhanced human
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A

It was good to have a day off. Her feet were wondering why she wasn't in her small apartment with her feet kicked up and relaxing, instead of out walking around town. There was nothing to do back in her small apartment. She'd read all her books. There was nothing good on television, no one was online to talk to. Now she was heading to the local library to find a good book to read. She was looking for one called 'Thief Without Faith' but it had been checked out the last three times she'd been by. The front of the building appeared as she turned the corner and she hurried her steps to get inside.

She went right to the row where the book should be, but once again it wasn't there. Laura pushed her red hair back, going to one of the computers, typing in the title and looking to see if it said checked out or on hold. It said 'on shelf'. "Well that's not right. Let's see if we can find you." She wrote down the call number on the little scrap paper provided next to the computer and headed up towards the main desk at the front.

There were a few people in line, but once they got to her, she laid the paper on the desk, not looking up right away. "Hi, I'm looking for this book. The computer says it's on the shelf, but it's not..." She pulled her library card out of her purse, glancing up finding a young man in front of her. A handsome young man. She began to smile, a little flustered by not finding an older adult waiting on her. "...there. Uhm... could you check to see if its on the cart to be put back out or something? I've been looking for it for a while now. I can't catch it in." He looked awful familiar. Where did she know him from? Maybe he'd come into the diner she worked at? She bit her lip, trying to place him, staring at him a bit more than she should.
^
Zach Finley
 Posted: Jan 24 2016, 10:26 PM

N/A
9 posts
Hollow
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A

There he was working the line, the other librarian, his senior by many many years went off to take a break. Though he had called it reorganizing the archive of newspaper articles, in truth, even Zach knew what was going on, however the old man needed all the rest that he could get. Zach was young yet, so he wasn't going to complain about working here, surrounded by books and people whom share his interest in keeping the written word alive through pages rather than on touch screens and computer pads.

Upon finishing assisting an older lady looking into the joys of petunia's, someone he almost recognized came up as if she had been here countless times before. Picking up the paper, he began to enter in the code instinctively as she began to search for her library card, glancing her way as he read the book title to himself and glanced back at the multiple carts that had books ready for sorting. Turning his misty eyes back on her, he spoke in a soft quiet voice, dulcet tones drifting out as he nodded.

"Yes, I can help, Laura, right? If you wait a moment, I'll have a gander"

He stated as he turned and moved back smoothly toward the carts, deftly, he began to finger through the different titles and novels, encyclopedias and such. The fact that it was already partially sorted was helpful, as he looked for titles before picking up another. Problem was that it wasn't there, blinking, he turned back and stepped back to the counter and shook his head his features becoming a little quizzical.

"It's definitely here... maybe it was misfiled, I... actually, I have an idea"

Zach said as he looked around, seeing that there was no one else in line for him to help. He lifted up a sign that advised others that he would be return shortly before moving out from behind the counter. Looking around the library, he pondered what could have gone wrong and figured that the simplest answer would be the right one. As he began marching to another section entirely, toward the language based books, his slender fingers dragging themselves over the different sections.
^
Laura Stiles
 Posted: Jan 24 2016, 10:40 PM

Luna
9 posts
Enhanced human
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A

When he said her name, she blinked. She did know him. The question was from where. He moved back to the carts before she could ask him how he knew her name. She really hoped that the book was there waiting to be shelved. She had no idea what else she's pick up if they didn't have this one. Maybe she'd go to a movie instead. He came back telling her that it was here, but missing and was gone yet again before she could say much. He began to walk through the library and she grabbed her card off the counter hurrying with him.

She caught up to him as he began to run his finger over the spines of the books, looking for her book. "I appreciate you looking. I know you don't I? I mean, I must, you know my name. I've not seen you here before. Have you been down to David's Diner?" She kept her voice soft and low as not to disturb anyone, but she hated not being able to place someone. Laura looked at where they were wondering why the book would be here. It wasn't a foreign book, but that was what it meant to be misfiled she supposed. "If I wasn't looking for this book, there would be twenty copies of it and it would never be checked out. That's how my luck goes." She smiled at him, still trying to place him. He seemed so young to be working here. He was in his 20's, which was when most guys were partying, not reading books. She refrained from asking thought because it was rude and her father didn't raise her to be rude.
^
Zach Finley
 Posted: Jan 24 2016, 11:16 PM

N/A
9 posts
Hollow
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A

"Hmmm... Yes, well no, you don't know me. I know you, I've been to the diner a couple of times here and there. I think I catch a glimpse of you at the end of your shift. Um, sorry if that sounds odd. I have a good sense of people, try to remember everyone I can. Because you never know how small the world is- Oh, here it is"

Taking the book out of the shelf, it was wedged between dead languages of the east and egyptian heiroglyphics in phonics. Thief Without Faith, having pulled it out, he motioned her to follow him again as he made his way around to the front. Though he had not even stated how he had known it was in that section, then again, he was the librarian on duty and he had his ways. If she asked, he would answer easily, Zach knew that the old labeling machine they used to mark the books mistypes 'I' for '1' and in the end they end up in a totally different section. These kinds of problems would easily be fixed however no one ever replaces anything that still works according to the older librarians.

"I doubt your luck is that bad, I mean, I found the book for you. All we need to do is sign it out in your name and you'll be in a world of fantasy soon enough"

Zach was friendly, warm and his voice calm and sweet. His steps were light, now that one looks at him, he wore tight fitting skinny jeans and a pale button shirt with obviously nothing underneath, given how thin his frame was. Other than that light bits of jewelry like rings and a necklace could be seen, black dress shoes with imprints of feathers. All his bits of jewelry on further inspection had either feathers or airy symbolism to them. Guiding her back to the front counter, he would take the sign down and hold out his hand waiting for her to give him something.
^
Laura Stiles
 Posted: Jan 24 2016, 11:27 PM

Luna
9 posts
Enhanced human
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A

That made sense. She had to wear a name badge at work. It made sense that he would know her. Especially if he happened to be in the same area when she got off work. "I think that's nice. No one seems to remember anything but usernames anymore. I'm afraid I don't remember your name though. Sorry, mind if I ask what it is?" He had her book which made her very happy, but she wasn't past having a nice conversation with someone.

She followed him back to the desk, smiling as he commented on her luck. "I really appreciate you finding it for me." He was holding his hand out for something and she realized he needed her card. "Oh, here, sorry." She laughed softly after leaving him standing there for a few moments. She felt silly. She noticed his jewelry and looked up at him, still looking for where she put her card. "Do you like birds? I notice you're wearing a lot of feather stuff." It was nice to talk to someone outside of asking them if they knew what they wanted to eat or if they needed a refill. Her dad wasn't due to visit for a week, so those long late night conversations had to wait.

It took her a moment to dig it back out of her purse, but she finally passed it back over. "I think I have a fine, I turned in my last book a few days late. I'll pay that while I'm here." She hated to have bills. Some you couldn't get away from like utilities and food, but stuff like this she took care of as soon as possible.

^
Zach Finley
 Posted: Jan 24 2016, 11:43 PM

N/A
9 posts
Hollow
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A

"I know what you mean, so caught up in the world of electronics that they don't step outside and see the world. Oh, I actually never gave you one, we never talked at the Diner. But it's Zach, nice to meet you, formally that is"

Zach said lightly, all the while listening and watching her as if he were hanging onto every letter of every word that left her lips, which was true as he liked to make people feel as if they were the most important part of his life while he shared moments with them. Simple appreciation for ones time, the memories that they create and all of it adds up sooner or later. Taking her library card, he scanned it with the machine, upgrades all the time except on what was important, he thought. Adding the Thief book to the list in her name.

"Hm, no, you don't need to thank me, I was just doing my job. Ah yeah, I do... it's how they seem so free, gliding on the air. Thank you for noticing"

He said, color rising to his features a little as he smiled at her comment. One of his hands moving up to brush his hair back ever so slightly in reaction. Others did not point such things out often, so it was a nice reminder that you were not doing something in vain. Though the jewelry was for himself, it felt nice and helped with his fashion sense given how few accessories one could gather for men. Blinking for a moment, he looked back at the screen and pulled up her information and nodded in reply to her speaking of fines.

"You have an interesting list of check outs... um, how will you be paying the fine? credit or cash?"
^
Laura Stiles
 Posted: Jan 24 2016, 11:52 PM

Luna
9 posts
Enhanced human
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A

Zach. She'd make sure to remember that. She was glad that he seemed to appreciate her comment on his jewelry. He had a good point about feathers. Sometimes she wised her life was as free and simple as a birds, but her life overall wasn't so bad. "Oh, you're welcome, Zach. I like them. I think a lot of men would find them to feminine to wear. I like that you do you. Its refreshing." The color in his cheeks made her wonder if he got a lot of compliments. He seemed really nice. He was handsome. Why wouldn't he? He moved on asking about the fines and commenting on her book choices.

It was her turn to turn a little red. She smiled, digging a couple of dollars out of her purse "Cash." She laid the money down knowing that the fees weren't much, "I don't really know anyone that reads fantasy as prolifically as I do. If I could string a sentence together I'd write them, but I think I'm better of being a reader and a fan. What kind of things do you like to read? Have any recommendations?" She assumed he liked to read since he was working here. Not many people would work at a library if they didn't like books. If they did they would probably come to love them in the end.
^
Zach Finley
 Posted: Jan 25 2016, 12:07 AM

N/A
9 posts
Hollow
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A

"I don't mind, feminine or not. As long as I feel good about what I wear..."

Zach had murmured in reply to her mention of his jewelry, looking up at her, less staring than what she had done prior of course as he watched her features turn red. Though the list was extensive, he was sure that some of them were controversially mature to some of the older staff members. Taking the money, he pondered it as he settled the fine, placing a receipt down with some odd bits of change he retrieved from the machine.

"I... I don't know what I could recommend, I'm not the type to... Well, you have fantasy covered well. I read fiction and science fiction, some romance, a lot of art and fashion. I guess I enjoy all forms of literature"

Barely containing his embarrassment while he thought about some books that he could direct her to, however, he hadn't known her for long and he didn't know her tastes other than from the list in front of him on the computer. If it was a guide to what kinds of things she read, then he couldn't really help her out. His tastes in fantasy leaned toward coming of age types of books, where people gained abilities and saved worlds, however they were classified as young adult and teens at least in described literature. He also stayed away from horror, though everything else was fair game.

"Well, Laura, what is it that you're looking for, give me a category and I'll see what I can do..."
^
Laura Stiles
 Posted: Jan 25 2016, 07:48 PM

Luna
9 posts
Enhanced human
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A

Laura looked at him thoughtfully for a moment, thinking on his question. She was rather picky about her books. They had to hook her from the first few pages or she just couldn't get into them. If it was a book that had a slow build, then she'd likely lay it down and not pick it back up. "I've been thinking of reading some science fiction. I need something that starts quick or at least has an engaging opening." She picked up her change from the counter, putting it in her purse and glancing back to him.

"I'm not a fan of romances, though I don't mind a good action or fantasy story that has romance in it. But like, picking up one of those Harlequin dime store paperbacks, no thank you. I'm sure some people love them, but they just aren't for me." She laughed softly picking up her book now that it was hers for the next couple of weeks. She couldn't wait to start reading it. There was no one else coming up to get in line at the moment, so she was in no hurry to leave. "I could do fiction in general, but I like something of a special element in it. Supernatural, alien, something that isn't so mundane or basic." She laughed after a moment, pushing her red hair back out of her face a bit. "I must sound like a book snob of the worst sort." She smiled at him, hating that she felt like she was making a bad impression.
^
Zach Finley
 Posted: Jan 25 2016, 09:12 PM

N/A
9 posts
Hollow
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A

"So you want something that is fast paced, relatively so or something engaging..."

Zach pondered as he watched her regurgitate her personal preference, he wasn't at all perturbed by this as everyone who he talks to about books in this library did the same. Well, once they felt comfortable speaking with a stranger about such, though it helped that his natural musk was intoxicating. It had a sweet almost floral smell and actively calms and makes him approachable. Not that it was now, he made sure that he was always clean and at the right temperature most of the time to mitigate or lessen it's effects on others.

"I know what you mean, something that sparks... a glimmer of a different world than the monotonous one we live in. Yeah, well, I don't know if you're a book snob or not. All I know is that you have perfectly good taste in literature and I believe I can recommend you the Vorkosigan Saga. It's... interesting, though don't look for the first book. There is a very particular order that you must read them in, outside of when they were published. Otherwise you'll miss certain inside jokes and deeper plots that require, well nevermind. I'll just keep rambling if I start"

Quickly taking a queue card from under the counter, he began to write down a list of books, more than twenty five in total. Before flipping it over and writing a number down in that same blue ink. His words scrawled in a very presentable version of script calligraphy that most people had little experience seeing. Adding the word feathers below it. Before handing it over to Laura, holding it out for her to take that is. His lips smiling as his strangely misty blue green eyes looked at her in a meaningful fashion.

"There you go, Laura. I believe you'd have fun with that series of books, there it's a legacy type, so the characters go from generation to generation"
^
Laura Stiles
 Posted: Jan 26 2016, 08:28 PM

Luna
9 posts
Enhanced human
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A

Laura was smiling as summed up in a much better manner what she was trying to say. He began to write things down and she leaned forward on the counter, relaxing as he wrote. "Oh, you can ramble all you want. I love books. I was pretty sick as a kid so they were my best friends when I was little. I'll read them in the order you recommend." She didn't notice what he wrote on the back of the card. Taking it from him, she looked over the book names. "Since it's not busy in here, maybe I'll go raid the shelves for some of them. I'll be back shortly."

Smiling still, she walked off towards the science fiction section. She was glad that she had met Zach. He seemed really nice and kind. It took her a few minutes to find the first book he had suggested along with the second. That would give her three books total to read and if she liked the first, she could move right onto the second. She moved to put the card away in her purse when she saw the number on the back. Turning to glance back towards the counter where he was, she smiled. Now that was smooth. She'd call him for sure. Putting it where she wouldn't lose it, she walked back towards the counter with the books.

Laying them down, she got her card back out and laid it on top of them. "I figure two will be good to start with. I read pretty fast, so if I get these done, I'll come back for more on my next day off. When do you normally work? It would be great to talk to you about them after I've read them." She wanted him to know she had seen the number, but without making it awkward or weird.
^
Zach Finley
 Posted: Jan 26 2016, 10:29 PM

N/A
9 posts
Hollow
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A

"I'd rather not ramble too much anyway and I promise that you will not be disappointed... Hm, I'll add them to your account when you return"

Zach watched her from afar, wondering if Laura would appreciate his number or if she'd find it offensive, from what he had gathered, he doubted she would make a big fuss about it. Other people whom walked through the library doors however had things to say about such behavior, then again, most of those who do visit the library are either eager to study for exams or are older generations looking for a way to spend their time. Spying her glancing back at him with a smile, he wondered if she had found what she had wanted as she returned to the counter post haste.

"Okay then, they have... been added under your name. I do hope you enjoy them and... well it depends on the day, but I'll be out of here around eight. Though I work every other day until ten-ish at a local café... so just hit us up whenever you finish or whenever, I guess"

At first he was solidly going forth with his job, the next thing, he began to generate a little heat and color as he quickly thought about her knowing when he finished work. It would have been easier to ask him what his next off day was, however, schedules were invented to clash with each other as he expected it did with everyone else. However perhaps he would push his luck with that innocuous smile upon his lips.

"Maybe next sunday, if you read as fast as you say..."
^
Laura Stiles
 Posted: Jan 26 2016, 11:01 PM

Luna
9 posts
Enhanced human
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A

Laura thought it had dawned on him that she saw his number when he started to blush. That was good and cute. Smiling, she nodded trying to remember her schedule. "Sunday sounds great. Maybe we could go for coffee or lunch and talk about them? I mean, I could call you if I finish before then, if you like." She reached for the books, adding them to the stack with the first one.

She had never been the one to ask someone out, but she figured why not. It was just coffee or lunch. It wasn't like it was a date date. This was just to talk about a book and to get to know each other. What if he had a girlfriend? No, he wouldn't have given her his number if he did. He didn't strike her as the scummy sort to do such a thing. "I do read pretty fast. I'll have the one you helped me find read before I go to bed tonight. If the others are as good as you say, well, I'll be done with them in no time, but I have to work at the diner the next three days. I am off Sunday for sure though, but if you come by the diner, make sure to say hello."

Laura knew her father was coming to visit, but he wouldn't be in until he got off work himself and that would be later that evening. She hoped he wasn't late, she was getting low on her meds. "Unless you'd rather do something else, like go to the park or something." Picking up her books, she tried to think of a few ways to linger a bit longer and talk some more, but there wasn't anything left for them to talk about.
^
Zach Finley
 Posted: Jan 26 2016, 11:18 PM

N/A
9 posts
Hollow
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A

"Hmmm... let's avoid coffee and lunch, given that it would remind both of us of work. But yeah, that sounds like a reasonable plan"

Zach thinking about what they could do, true, that there was very little to do except coffee or lunch earlier in the days. However being a barista and her being a waitress, it kind of felt a little monotonous to choose a meeting with potential friends in a place that reminded you of work. Not that work was bad, it was just better to acquaint ones self outside of such environments, otherwise you get tagged as that waitress or coffee brewer at that one place.

"Um, I... I mean, I may come by the diner. But I don't want to impose, given that you'd be working and I'd be just, well, eating and such"

Feeling slightly out of place thinking about ordering food at the Diner where she worked and sorta of half talking to her between her orders and duties. He felt as if it would not be ideal, also the fact that he ate enough to put muscle men to shame, with their impossibly high calorie diets. Zach's own body burning up way too much for energy he barely used. Thinking about her last answer, that seemed like a much better idea, he even had one of those picnic baskets that he had been dying to use.

"I think I'd like that more, go to a open park, perhaps a picnic. Unless that seems a bit odd, I mean, it would be up to you..."
^
Laura Stiles
 Posted: Feb 1 2016, 08:37 PM

Luna
9 posts
Enhanced human
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A

Laura was watching him as he gave an alternate idea for what they could do. She smiled at him, liking the idea. It was nice idea. It was a relaxing environment, casual, but could also let them get to know each other better. She'd never really been on a picnic before. What did you take to one. She realized she hadn't answered him and shook her head. A picnic sounds great. Say around 11 on Sunday or would you rather I call you a little closer to Sunday and make sure plans haven't changed. " If he hadn't figured out that she had found his number before, he had to know now.

She hugged her books a little closer to her, actually looking a bit sheepish. "I've never actually been on a picnic before. What do we need to bring? I can fix something or pick it up at the diner. I don't know if you want to trust my cooking." She smiled a bit brighter, able to laugh at herself easily. "Maybe I should order something because my luck I'd give you food poisoning and I'd never get to pick your brain." Pulling her purse up on her shoulder, she decided she had lingered long enough. "Well, I'll see you Sunday at the park. Don't forget to say hi if you come by the diner." She gave him a smile and a wave, turning to walk to the door. Stopping, she turned back and grabbed the pencil and scrap paper that was on the desk for noting book locations. She put her number on it and slid it over to him. "You know, in case you need to change plans or... just want to." She turned, hurrying out the door of the library.

This wasn't the way that she'd planned for this day to go. Now, she just had to get home without any problems and she'd be having one of her best days in a long time.
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply

tagbox

USE YOUR OUT OF CHARACTER ALIAS WHEN POSTING IN THE TAGBOX.
Please provide a link to the thread and the user/character tagged.
You may bump a thread once every five days.

Listed At
Affiliates
RPG-D Distant Fantasies
Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows www.AbaddonCity.com 18+
skinned by josh dun of shine, cc, wecode, and ctw. cfs by black @ code